Sharing Content & Information
You own all the content and information you post on CollegeHippo.com, and can regulate your settings for how information is displayed. In addition:
- For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos, videos (“IP Content”), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to our privacy settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferrable, sub-license, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP Content that you post in connection with CollegeHippo.com (“IP License”). You allow CollegeHippo.com to use, modify, delete from, add to, publically perform, publically display, reproduce, and distribute such content, through, or in connection with CollegeHippo.com and its services. This IP License ends when you delete the IP content or your account, unless the content has been shared by others, and they have not deleted it.
- When you delete IP Content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying a recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time. These backups will not be available to others.
- CollegeHippo.com does not claim any ownership rights in text, files, images, photos, videos, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, applications, or any materials that you transmit, submit, display, publish (“post”) on, through or in connection with CollegeHippo.com. After posting your content on or through CollegeHippo.com, you continue to retain any such rights that you may have in your content subject to limited license above.
- You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the content posted by you on, through, or in connection with CollegeHippo.com, or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth in this section, and (ii) the posting of your content on, through, or in connection with CollegeHippo.com does not violate privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person or entity. You agree to pay for all royalties, fees, and any other monies owing any person or entity by reason of use of any content posted by you on or through CollegeHippo.com
- CollegeHippo.com reserves the right to limit the storage capacity of content that you post on, through or in connection with CollegeHippo.com.
- Please choose carefully the information that you post on, through or in connection with CollegeHippo.com and that you provide to other users. Your CollegeHippo.com profile may not include any form of Prohibited Content as outlined in Content/ Activities Prohibited, And Safety below. Despite this prohibition, information, materials, products or services provided by CollegeHippo.com members may, in whole or in part, be unauthorized, impermissible or otherwise violate this Agreement, and CollegeHippo.com assumes no responsibility or liability for this material. If you become aware of misuse please report to use in “Contact Us” at the bottom of each page, or “Report Content” on specific pages.
- CollegeHippo.com may reject, refuse to post or delete any content for any or no reason, including, but no limited to, content that in the sole judgment of CollegeHippo.com violates this Agreement or which may be offensive, illegal or violate the rights of any person or entity, or harm or threaten the safety of any person or entity. CollegeHippo.com assumes no responsibility for monitoring this site for inappropriate content or conduct. If at any time CollegeHippo.com chooses, in its sole discretion, to monitor the site, CollegeHippo.com assumes no responsibility for the content, and no responsibility for the conduct of the user submitting any such content.
- You are solely responsible for the content that you post on, through, or in connection with any of CollegeHippo.com services, and any material or information that you transmit to other members and for your interactions with other users.
We do our best to keep CollegeHippo.com safe, but we cannot guarantee it. We need you help to do that, which includes the following commitments:
- You will not send or otherwise post unauthorized commercial communications (such as spam) on CollegeHippo.com.
- You will not collect user’s content or information, or otherwise access CollegeHippo.com, using automated means (such as harvesting bots, robots, spiders, or scrapers) without our permission.
- You will not engage in unlawful multi-level marketing, such as a pyramid scheme, on CollegeHippo.com.
- You will not upload viruses or other malicious code.
- You will not solicit login information or access an account belonging to someone else.
- You will not bully, intimidate, or harass and user.
- You will not people in a sexual or violent matter.
- You will not publically post information that poses or creates a privacy or security risk to any person or entity.
- You will not post content that: is hateful, threatening, or pornographic; incites violence; or contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence.
- You will not include content of another person that you have posted without that persons consent.
- You will not develop or operate third party application containing alcohol-related or other mature content (including advertisements) without appropriate age-based restrictions.
- You will not offer any contest, giveaway, or sweepstakes (“promotion”) on CollegeHippo.com.
- You will not transmit “junk mail, “ “chain letters,” or unsolicited mass mailing, instant messaging, “spimming,” or “spamming”.
- You will not use CollegeHippo.com to do anything unlawful, misleading, malicious, or discriminatory.
- You will not do anything that could disable, overburden, or impair the proper working of CollegeHippo.com, such as a denial or service attack.
- You will not facilitate or encourage any violations of this statement.
Content/ Activities Prohibited
CollegeHippo.com users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account.
- You will not provide any false personal information on CollegeHippo.com, or create an account for anyone other that yourself without permission.
- You will not create more than one personal profile.
- If we disable your profile, you will not create another one without our permission.
- You will not use your personal profile for your own commercial gain.
- You will not use CollegeHippo.com if you are under the age of 13.
- CollegeHippo.com restrict the use of service to individuals age 18 and below.
- You will not use CollegeHippo.com if you are a convicted sex offender.
- You will keep your contact information accurate and up to date.
- You will not share your password, let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
- You will not transfer your account to anyone without first getting out written permission.
- You will not engage in criminal or tortious activity, including, but not limited to, child pornography, fraud, trafficking in obscene material, drug dealing, gambling, harassment, defamation, stalking, spamming, spimming, sending of viruses or other harmful files, copyright infringement, patent infringement, or theft of trade secrets.
- You will not advertise to, engage in solicitation of any members to buy or sell any products or services through the unauthorized or impermissible use of CollegeHippo.com services.
- In order to protect our members from such advertising or solicitation, CollegeHippo.com reserves the right to restrict the number of messages, emails which can be send in a 24-hour time period. If you breach this agreement, you acknowledge that you have caused substantial harm to CollegeHippo.com, nut that the amount of such harm would be extremely difficult to ascertain, As a reasonable estimate of such harm, you agree to pay CollegeHippo.com $50 for each actual or intended recipient of such unsolicited message, notepass, or other commercial communication you send through CollegeHippo.com.
- You will not using tracking or monitoring functionality in connection with CollegeHippo.com, including, without limitation, to identify other users views, actions, or other actions at CollegeHippo.com.
- You will not convert or obscure the banner advertisements and/or safety features on CollegeHippo.com, or any CollegeHippo.com page via html/css.
- You will not impersonate or attempt to impersonate CollegeHippo.com or CollegeHippo.com employees, administrator or moderator, another Member, or person, or entity (including, without limitation, the use of email addresses associated with CollegeHippo.com).
- You will not sell or otherwise transfer your profile, your email address, or URL.
- You will not post content or take any action on CollegeHippo.com that infringes or violates someone else’s rights or otherwise violates the law.
- We can remove any content or information you post on CollegeHippo.com if we believe it violates this statement.
- If we remove your content for infringing someone else’s copyright, and you believe we removed it by mistake, you will have the right to appeal.
- If you repeatedly infringe other people’s intellectual content rights, we will disable your account when appropriate.
- You will not use our copyrights or trademarks or any confusing similar marks, without our written permission.
- You will not post anyone’s identification documents or sensitive financial information on CollegeHippo.com.
- Content posted about colleges / universities must comply with CC-BY-SA
Copyright & Intellectual Property
You acknowledge that the Software, the technology underlying the Services, and all other software, designs, materials, information, communications, text, graphics, links, electronic art, animations, illustrations, artwork, audio clips, video clips, photos, images, and other data or copyrightable materials, including the selection and arrangements thereof, provided or made available to you in connection with the site, the Software or the Services (collectively, the "Company Content") are the proprietary works of us and/or our affiliated and/or third party providers and suppliers (Third Parties) and are protected, without limitation, pursuant to U.S. and foreign copyright laws. Except as expressly authorized by us or in these Terms, you may not copy, reproduce, publish, perform, distribute, disseminate, broadcast, circulate, modify, create derivative works of, rent, lease, sell, assign, sublicense, otherwise transfer, display, transmit, compile or collect in a database, or in any manner commercially exploit the site, Company Content or the Services, in whole or in part. You will not, in any manner, without our prior written approval, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, reverse assemble or otherwise attempt to discover any source code of, the Software or any other Company Content, the site or the Services. You may not store any significant portion of any Company Content or the Services in any form, whether archival files, computer-readable files or any other medium. You may not "mirror" any Company Content or the Services on any server. Any unauthorized or prohibited use of the Software, other Company Content, the site or the Services may subject the offender to civil liability and criminal prosecution under applicable federal and state laws.
You agree to safeguard the CollegeHippo.com and to prevent the unauthorized, negligent or inadvertent use or disclosure thereof. You will not, without our prior written approval, directly or indirectly, use or disclose the Proprietary Information to any person or business entity except for a limited number of your employees who are on a need-to-know basis and who agree in writing to be bound by the restrictions on use and disclosure set forth in these Terms or restrictions no less restrictive than these Terms. You agree to promptly notify us in writing of any use or disclosure of Proprietary Information in violation of these Terms. You acknowledge that the use or disclosure of the Proprietary Information in any manner inconsistent with these Terms will cause us irreparable damage and that we will have the right to (i) equitable and injunctive relief to prevent such prohibited use or disclosure, and (ii) recover the amount of all damages (including attorneys fees and expenses) in connection with such prohibited use or disclosure.
- We can change this Statement without prior consent.
- All changes to this Statement will be posted at www.collegehippo.com/legal
- Once changes are made, users will have the opportunity to comment. If more than 5,000 users comment on the proposed change, we will also give you the opportunity to participate in a vote in which you will be provided alternatives. The vote shall be binding us if more than 30% of all active registered users as of the date of the notice vote.
- We can make changes for legal and administrative reasons, or to correct and inaccurate statement, upon notice without opportunity to comment.
If you violate the letter or spirit of this Statement, or otherwise create risk or possible legal exposure for us, we can stop providing all or part of CollegeHippo.com to you. We will notify you by email or at the next time of you attempt to access you account. You may also delete your account. In all such cases, this Statement shall remain in agreement.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless us, and our affiliates, officers, directors, agents, partners, employees, licensors, representatives and third party providers (including our affiliates' respective officers, directors, agents, partners, employees, licensors, representatives, and third party providers), from and against all losses, expenses, damages, costs, claims and demands, including reasonable attorney's fees and related costs and expenses, due to or arising out of any User Content you submit, post to, email, or otherwise transmit to us or through the Services, your use of the Services, the Company Content or any portion thereof, your connection to the Services, or your breach of these Terms. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, and in such case, you agree to fully cooperate with such defense and in asserting any available defenses.
- You will resolve any claim, cause of action or dispute (claim) you have with us arising out of or relating to this Statement or CollegeHippo exclusively in a state or federal court located in County Of New Castle. The laws of the State of Delaware will govern this Statement, as well as any claim that might arise between you and us, without regard to conflict of law provisions. You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located in County Of New Castle, Delaware for the purpose of litigating all such claims.
- If anyone brings a claim against us related to your actions, content or information on CollegeHippo.com, you will indemnify and hold us harmless from and against all damages, losses, and expenses of any kind (including reasonable legal fees and costs) related to such claim.
- We try to keep CollegeHippo.com up, bug-free, and safe, but you use it at your own risk. We are providing CollegeHippo.com as is without any express or implied warranties including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement. We do not guarantee that CollegeHippo.com will be safe or secure. CollegeHippo.com is not responsible for the actions, content, information, or data of third parties, and you release us, our directors, officers, employees, and agents from any claims and damages, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with any claim you have against any such third parties. Applicable law may not allow the limitation or exclusion of liability or incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. In such cases, CollegeHippo.com’s liability will be limited to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law.
Promotion & Sweepstakes