Data science creates meaning from vast amounts of complex data. Using automated analytical methods, it reveals patterns humans alone might never see. CDS is starting an innovative course for all majors titled Data Science for Everyone!
If you want a great career in Data Science, you should know that a lot of universities admit students with no GRE requirement. You don’t have to go through the hassle of a GRE test to get started on your program.
The Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) in Data Science program requires 15 credit hours covering specific focus areas of digital curation, data science education, and information analytics. It comprises 2 Core Courses (6 credits) in databases and data science. The remaining credits (9) are elective credits to be selected from such areas as communication and collaboration, digital curation, digital libraries, information assurance, project management, mashups, research, scripting, statistics, technologies, and visualization.
Becoming a data scientist is an exciting job for anyone who has an inclination in the STEM fields. After the first step of getting your bachelor’s degree in any of the programs of IT, computer science, math or physics, you may be thinking of advancing your career with a master’s to be a full-fledged Data Scientist.
Data Science is a multi-disciplinary field that uses scientific methods, processes, and algorithms to extract knowledge and insights from structured and unstructured data. Ideally, a knowledge of human psychology and human behavior is beneficial to arrive at more accurate results in data science. In a continually evolving technological landscape, we need data science to arrive at conclusions and find the right answers.
You should know that data science is one of the factors giving you recommendations for shows on Netflix. Data science also answers business questions like which customers are more likely to switch to the competitor. 73% of professionals working in Data Science have a master’s degree and 38% have a Ph.D. If you really want to make it as a leader in this industry you have to get at least a master’s.
We can give you a rundown of 10 universities which have no minimum GRE requirement for entering the Data Science Master’s program. The GRE or the Graduate Record Exam is a standardized test for incoming grad students which measures analytical writing skills, quantitative ability, and verbal reasoning skills.
No GRE minimum requirement means that your university of choice will be looking at your overall application and will be considering factors such as job experience and college records and will not be basing their decision solely on GRE results. The following universities offer advanced degrees on Data Science and are top ranked.
These are the following ten universities which don’t require GRE Score:
1.Fitchburg State University, No GRE– Master’s Degree Program in Computer Science (MSCS)
The Data Science concentration offers the opportunity for students pursuing the Master’s Degree Program in Computer Science (MSCS) to develop knowledge and skills in data analysis and visualization, database development, machine learning, and data mining. This concentration will provide an opportunity for the students in Computer Science who would like to pursue their career in data science and data analysis. It will also open the door for those who are interested in working with data across a wide variety of disciplines.
- Official transcript of a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in the field of computer science, mathematics, engineering or other appropriate fields of study
- Three letters of recommendation
- Professional resume
- Official transcripts of graduate level course work from a regionally accredited institution (if applicable)
- Fitchburg no longer requires the GRE and GMAT for entrance in the graduate programs
2.George Washington University, No GRE– Master in Data Science
Learn the intricacies of data mining, statistics and computer science in the classroom and learning one-on-one from industry experts, data science graduate students build a well-rounded skill set. This field will let you pursue careers from advertising technology to federal consulting to sports medicine.
- Academic Records
- Statement of Purpose
- Recommendation Letters
- GRE is not a requirement
3.Grand Valley State University, No GRE– Data Science and Analytics (M.S.)
The Data Science and Analytics (M.S.) degree provides students with the fundamental analytics background necessary to work with big and complex data sets in any discipline. It also allows a statistics or computing student to gain additional cross-disciplinary background, or for a student of any discipline to develop skills to solve data-intensive problems. This degree has applications to health, social, political, and environmental issues as science and technology disciplines. It provides training in key technical areas while also developing business and communication skills.
- Grade point average of 3.0 (B) from all undergraduate coursework
- Resume detailing work experiences and accomplishments
- Personal statement of career goals and background experiences
- Recommendations: two professional or academic recommendations
- Prerequisite courses: CIS 500 or equivalent, STA 216 or equivalent
- GRE is not a requirement
4.The Loyola University of Maryland, No GRE–Master’s Program in Data Science
The master’s program in Data Science provides the skills you need to become a data scientist. Students are prepared with programming skills in Python needed to transform messy web data into clean data and the knowledge to apply sophisticated statistical modeling using R, to address any data-driven problem. Leveraging Loyola’s Jesuit background, the program also provides students the opportunity to examine the ethical implications of the work they will do as a data scientist. As part of the program, Loyola’s strong commitment to social justice encourages students to engage with nonprofits.
- A student is expected to have had a college-level introductory statistics course and have completed Calculus I or higher.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended.
- All foreign transcripts must be translated and evaluated by an approved evaluation service (naces.org)
- Essay: Describe how Loyola’s graduate program in Data Science will help you fulfill your academic/professional goals.
- One professional/academic letter of recommendation (optional)
- Professional resume (optional)
- TOEFL or IELTS test scores are required if the student’s native language is not English.
- GRE is not a requirement
5. New College of Florida, No GRE– The Master’s in Data Science Degree
The Master’s in Data Science Degree consists of 36 credit hours spanning four semesters. The curriculum was developed exclusively for the Master’s program and offers a blend of interdisciplinary theory and practical application of skills.
- Documentation of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with an undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0, or documentation of a bachelor’s degree and record of successful achievement at an accredited college or university that uses narrative evaluations rather than grades.
- Successful completion of a course in Linear Algebra; and
- Successful completion of a course in programming, or proof of programming proficiency.
- GRE is not a requirement
6.Saint Louis University, No Minimum GRE– MS in Health Data Science
The program prepares innovators to successfully manage the unique challenges of healthcare data and applications. You’ll take classes in:
- Predictive Modeling and Machine Learning
- Programming for Data Sciences
- High-Performance Computing in the Healthcare Industry
- Foundations of Medical Diagnosis and Treatment
- Communication and Leadership in the Healthcare Industry
- Each department has different requirement standards for graduate admission tests such as the GRE
Admission Requirements for MS in Data science
Graduate admission requirements at Saint Louis University may vary by program. Contact the department directly for minimum test scores and other required materials.
7.Saint Peter’s University, No GRE–Master of Science in Data Science with a concentration in Business Analytics
The Master of Science in Data Science with a concentration in Business Analytics. Data Science with a focus on Business Analytics is the discipline that integrates scientific methods from statistics, computer science, and data-based business management to extract knowledge from data and drive decision making. The Master in Data Science curriculum provides students with a rigorous course of study in big data technologies, applications and practices a pathway for student internships and full-time employment. Graduates are prepared to meet the challenges at the intersection between big data, business analytics, and other emerging fields.
Admission Requirements for Master of science
- A completed graduate program application.
- A baccalaureate degree conferred by a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the foreign equivalent
- Official undergraduate transcript evidencing an earned Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals acquainted with the applicant’s academic and/or professional experience and his/her potential to successfully complete a graduate program.
- A personal statement of 500 words describing why the applicant desires this data science degree.
- GRE is not a requirement
8.St. Johns University, No GRE– MS in Data Science program
Graduates of the MS in Data Science program will obtain a variety of skills required to analyze large datasets and to develop modeling solutions to support decision making. They will also develop a specialization in either marketing analytics or healthcare analytics. The specialization in healthcare analytics builds upon our division’s undergraduate healthcare informatics major which is now in its fourth year. The program aims to prepare students with the required qualifications to become “data mining analysts/engineers” or “predictive modelers”.
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Applicants are expected to have a 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale) cumulative undergraduate grade point average and a 3.0 in their major field of study.
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who can comment on the applicant’s academic abilities and potential to succeed in an academically rigorous graduate program.
- Completion of the following undergraduate mathematics course work
- Probability and Statistics
- GRE is used as a supporting document for applicants whose grade point average is below 3.0
9.St. John Fisher College, No GRE–Master of Science in Applied Data Science
Designed to include students with or without a strong quantitative background, the Master of Science in Applied Data Science is well-suited for individuals with a background in the liberal arts or the social sciences, as well as those health care, education, and business fields such as marketing, finance, and accounting. Advanced mathematics training (such as calculus, linear algebra, or computer programming) is not required for admission to the program.
Admission Requirements for Master of science in Applied Data science
Applicants for graduate study must hold a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree (for doctoral programs) from a regionally accredited college or university and demonstrate the motivation, ability, and preparation to successfully pursue graduate study.
The admissions committee of each program, the graduate program director, and the director of graduate admissions will make an admission decision based upon records of undergraduate achievement, prior graduate work (if appropriate), letters of recommendation, and other supporting documentation where required.
GRE is not a requirement.
10.South Dakota State University, No GRE–MS in Data Science program
If you want to use your quantitative talents to make a difference by solving important and challenging problems, MS in Data Science program could be right for you. You don’t have to have an undergraduate major in mathematics or statistics to succeed; this program is accessible to people from a wide variety of other undergraduate backgrounds as well, including economics, engineering, computer science, the physical sciences, and many others.
Admission to MS in Data science Requirements
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 to receive unconditional admission.
- A professional academic transcript evaluation for degrees earned outside the United States
- If you are completing your bachelor’s degree at the time of application, you may submit an incomplete evaluation. If you are accepted, a complete transcript and/or evaluation with a completed degree will be required by the end of your first semester of coursework.
- Official U.S. transcripts where a degree is earned (or will be earned), and official U.S. transcripts where graduate-level coursework has been taken.
- A minimum TOEFL score of 527 paper-based, 197 computer-based, or 71 Internet-based, or IELTS score of 5.5.
- GRE scores are not used in the admission process.
Image Credit: https://blog.alexa.com/know-data-science-important/Jobs Salaries and Career after Masters in Data Science
Best Graduate School Programs for Data Science in South
GRE and GPA requirements for admission to Best Universities in Data Science
Masters programs in Data Science which do not require GRE
Find Data Science masters degree program based on GRE score
Search for Graduate Programs in Data Science
Find Data Science Masters Degree program from GRE score