2100 accredited US Universities for Graduate Programs. 400+ specializations.
1400 No GRE, GMAT schools for the Master’s program
700+ Graduate scholarships totaling $3.5 mm
University of Pennsylvania
Admission Requirements for Graduate Programs at University of Pennsylvania
Applying to UPenn's graduate programs is a competitive process and the admissions requirements differ across various schools. In general, GRE and GMAT are required for most of the graduate programs although UPenn is slowly moving to making the GRE and GMAT optional for most of the graduate programs.
To get accepted across most of the programs, you would need a good GPA and a competitive score but a low GPA is not something that should deter most of the students. A high score and/or a strong essay and some solid recommendation letters can boost your chances of getting admitted. International students are always required to submit TOEFL.
Some of the joint-degree programs share common traits but have their own unique requirements. As an example, Lauder Institute offers a joint-degree MA in International Studies with the Wharton MBA. Lauder requires that you complete a language assessment called the Oral Proficiency Interview(s), one Lauder essay, and answers to supplemental questions regarding international/cross-cultural experience. This is in addition to the Wharton MBA application.
How stringent is the admission process for international applicants at UPenn?
The acceptance rate for the Ivy League is very low, especially for some of the top-ranked programs like Wharton Business School and Penn Gse Education School. International students have to compete with prospective smart students around the world and they should not only have an excellent GRE/GMAT score along with essays, and recommendation letters but also make their application stand out. We do not have exact numbers for what is the acceptance rate for international students but it is in the low single digits.
Are there interviews for UPenn Master’s or joint-degree programs?
Yes, some of the Masters and MBA programs interview potential candidates. Wharton’s MBA program calls the potential candidates for an interview.
What is the average GRE/GMAT/LSAT score for admissions to UPenn Graduate programs?
Upenn don't have a minimum GRE score requirements for their graduate programs. They evaluate applications as a whole portfolio, not on a single criterion. However, Upenn has made GRE is optional for all of their graduate programs.
- Average GMAT scores accepted so far is 728.
- Average GRE scores accepted so far is: Verbal-162; Quantitative:162.
- Average GPA scores accepted so far is 3.6
Are there No GRE , No GMAT masters programs at UPenn?
All the graduate programs offered by UPenn doesn't require GRE or GMAT scores for admission. Some of the No GRE/GMAT graduate programs offered by UPenn are:
- Masters in Bioengineering
- Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, MSE
- Masters in Data Science
- Robotics, MSE
- Materials Science and Engineering, Ph.D.
- Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, Ph.D.
What is the level of difficulty in securing admission to UPenn's Master's programs with a less competitive GPA?
Admission to UPenn's master's programs can be challenging if you have a low GPA. GPA is a significant factor in the admissions decision; however, admissions assessments are typically holistic. To strengthen your application, consider emphasizing strong letters of recommendation, relevant work experience, a compelling personal statement, and notable achievements.
If you have a low GPA, it's crucial to contact the specific department or admissions office of the master's program you're interested in. Inquire about their policies and any steps you can take to enhance your application. Some programs may offer the opportunity to explain any extenuating circumstances that contributed to a low GPA.
Demonstrating a commitment to academic improvement and highlighting other strengths in your application can positively impact your chances of admission.
Admission Requirements - Chemistry, PhD - No GRE
The Chemistry Department is currently accepting applications for its Ph.D. program and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. To complete your application, please adhere to the following requirements:
- Submit a non-refundable application fee of $90.
- Provide uploaded unofficial transcripts from all universities and colleges you have attended.
- Include a CV/resume with your application.
- A personal statement is required; it should be composed of three parts and submitted as one document. Please ensure to label each part according to the specified format.
- Although a writing sample is not mandatory, you have the option to upload any additional written materials in this section of the application.
- Arrange for 3-5 letters of recommendation to be sent on your behalf.
- GRE scores are not compulsory for the application. However, if you are applying to the physical chemistry division, it is strongly recommended that you submit your scores.