Colorado State University-Fort CollinsRanked 121 in Best National University.
Fish, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology
College description: Major in Fish, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology, Conservation Biology Concentration. Graduate and Professional BulletinToggle Graduate and Professional Bulletin. Evaluation of Graduate Students and Graduate School Appeals Procedure. The Conservation Biology concentration focuses on understanding the ecological processes necessary to conserve biological diversity, with an emphasis on fish and wildlife species and their habitats.
All students are admitted to our graduate program on an individual basis depending upon the availability of funded projects obtained by each faculty member.
Admission decisions are based on academic performance, letters of recommendations, work experience, evidence of scientific productivity, leadership qualities, and a personal statement. Students with a cumulative undergraduate GPA above 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or better meet minimal requirements but does not guarantee admittance into the program. The department have many highly qualified applicants; therefore, if you do not exceed these minimum standards, you are not encouraged to apply.
If your undergraduate degree is in an area outside of the physical, chemical, or biological sciences such as liberal arts, business, education, or psychology, you probably are not eligible for the M.S. or Ph.D. program. One option may be to complete a second bachelor’s degree or take graduate level course work to strengthen your background for possible graduate admission later.
GRE is not required.
University of Hawaii at ManoaRanked 127 in Best National University.
M.S. in Tropical Conservation Biology and Environmental Science
College description: Individual graduate programs may have priority consideration deadlines. Graduate Division admissions standard and documentation requirements, and. Official GRE scores must be sent directly to Graduate Division Student Services.
Admission requirements includes the following:
1. A baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited U.S. institution or from a nationally-recognized foreign institution.
2. A personal statement that states whether student is interested in Thesis Track or Internship Track. If Thesis Track, the applicant must list advisor(s) from the TCBES faculty who agrees to sponsor the application and serve as primary advisor upon acceptance to the program. Internship Track students are not required to get sponsorship from an advisor.
3. Three letters of recommendation submitted by references who have observed or supervised the applicant’s performance and are able to comment on the quality of the applicant’s academic achievement, ability to pursue graduate study, and general character.
4. Grade point average of 3.0 (on a scale where A = 4.0) or the equivalent in the last four semesters of approximately 60 semester credits of undergraduate work and/or in all post-baccalaureate work.
5. A score of 550 TOEFL (paper based), 213 (computer based) or 79 (internet based), or 6.0 IELTS (for students who have not attended an English language university, or for whom English is not the primary language.
In special circumstances acceptance may be granted at the discretion of the selection committee for those students who meet some, but not all, the above requirements.
The GRE Test Requirement is no longer required.
University of ArizonaRanked 121 in Best National University.
Wildlife Conservation Management
Admissions Requirements includes the following:
1. GPA 3.0
2. Proof of English proficiency is required for any international applicant born in a country where English is not the official language.
3. THE GRE IS NO LONGER REQUIRED FOR ADMISSION
4. 3 letters of recommendation
5. Letter of intent
6. Summary of course work
Applications are accepted on a year-round basis (rolling admissions), but should be at least 2 months in advance of your intended start date.
Columbia University in the City of New YorkRanked 4 in Best National University.
Master of Arts in Ecology Evolution and Conservation Biology
College description: The E3B community offers academic excellence in a range of natural and social science disciplines that are directly related to biodiversity conservation including: evolution, systematics, genetics, behavioral ecology, public health, business, economics, political science, anthropology, and public and international policy.The Ecology, Evolution, and Environmental Biology (E3B) at Columbia University was established in 2001. In creating E3B, the university recognized that the fields of ecology, evolutionary biology, and environmental biology constitute a distinct subdivision of the biological sciences with its own set of intellectual foci, theoretical foundations, scales of analysis, and methodologies. The Reading Assistantship will allow students to develop additional skills for a variety of professional directions that they may choose to follow. Reading Assistantships are voluntary and limited in number based on the needs of the department and allocations from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
The application materials include basic biographical information, a statement of purpose, transcripts, your CV/resumé, letters of recommendation from at least two people familiar with your academic and intellectual capabilities (you will include the contact information for your recommendation writers, who will load their letters into the online system directly). There is also an option to include a writing sample.
The GRE is no longer required, and GRE subject exams are also not required.
University of FloridaRanked 48 in Best National University.
Wildlife Ecology and Conservation
All MS and PhD degree applicants must have: an earned Bachelor's degree; a minimum undergraduate or graduate GPA of 3.0 or better
Wildlife Ecology and Conservation (WEC) does not require specific undergraduate degrees or coursework to apply because our programs and faculty research span a variety of disciplines. STEM BS degrees generally provide the best preparation for research degrees, however.
The WEC Department and Faculty apply a holistic review process to select their graduate students, and the Department no longer uses GRE scores for admissions decisions, awards of merit, or allocations of resources to graduate students. UF no longer requires that graduate student applicants take the exam to apply. Therefore, students applying to WEC do not need to take the GRE.
International students are not required to submit GRE scores. However, for applicants from countries where English is not the ofﬁcial language, a minimum score on one of these English Language Skills tests is required:
1. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 550 paper, or 80 Internet;
2. International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6; or
3. Documented successful completion of the University of Florida English Language Institute program
Unity CollegeRanked 31 in Best Regional College in North.
Master’s in Wildlife Conservation and Management
Interested applicants in the Master’s in Wildlife Conservation and Management, Professional Wildlife Biologist Track are expected to have previously studied Statistics and Ecology, Wildlife Biology or Natural Resource Management.
No GRE needed and applying is free.
Illinois State UniversityRanked 127 in Best National University.
Masters in Biological Sciences
College description: Biological Sciences majors selecting this sequence will receive broad training in Conservation Biology. This sequence is designed for students seeking careers in the conservation of natural ecosystems and their organisms (all levels of biodiversity). The coursework will also prepare students for graduate studies in Conservation Biology, and for internships and entry-level positions in conservation-oriented non-governmental organizations, state and federal governmental organizations, and environmental consulting firms.
A student applying to a master's program must:
1. have earned a four-year bachelor's degree or its equivalent from a college or university that is accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting association, or do so within one academic year
2. present official transcripts from each college or university other than Illinois State at which graduate, undergraduate, or non-degree credit was earned.
Additional Program Admission Requirements includes:
1. Lab Requirement: The first step in the application process is to ask about working in a lab. We do not admit graduate students unless they have at least one faculty member who is willing to have them in their lab.
2. GPA: You must have a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework or any previous work in a master’s program.
3. Curriculum Vitae or Resume: Submit your vita in the application system. It should include any information that will help assess your potential as a student in our graduate program.
4. Statement of Academic and Professional Goals: Write a one-to-two page statement of your academic and professional goals and submit it in the application system.
5. Letters of Recommendation: Provide three letters of recommendation. Your letters should be from faculty members or others who are familiar with your academic record and can evaluate your potential for graduate study.
6. Test Scores: GRE scores are not required for your application. However, if you wish to submit them, you may.
International students required to take an English proficiency test must have a TOEFL score of 90 or greater. The IELTS equivalent is approximately 6.5.
Application deadline is February 1.