Masters programs in Data Science which do not require GRE - Updated 2020
Yale UniversityRanked 3 in Best National University.
Statistics and Data Science
All applications for admission should be submitted online directly to the Yale Graduate School Office of Admissions.
All applications must include the GRE general scores and, for persons whose native language is not English, TOEFL scores (unless you obtained your undergraduate degree with at least 3-years in residence at an English-language program). The GRE subject test is not required for the M.A. program.
Neither the Graduate School nor the Statistics Department has minimum required GRE or TOEFL scores for admission, but very low scores do typically decrease the chances of admission.
Almost all students in the terminal M.A. program are self-supported, either by personal funds or by outside fellowships.
Unlike at some universities, there is no automatic admission into the Ph.D. program for students who complete the terminal M.A. degree; a completely new application is required.
University of Virginia School of Engineering and Applied Science
The GRE is not required for admission to this program.
MS in Data Science Admissions
Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution or its foreign equivalent. A competitive undergraduate record that indicates strong academic ability is required, though applicants need not have extensive academic experience in data science or related fields. Work or research experience in the field of study is desirable but not necessarily a requirement. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required, but strong scores bolster chances for admission. GRE scores and/or new, relevant course work at the undergraduate level are recommended for applicants whose previous academic performance was below a B average.
1. Meet application deadlines
2. Complete the online application
3. Include all supplemental materials
4. Submit a nonrefundable application fee of $75
Statement of Purpose: Applicants must submit a 300-word statement of purpose explaining how the degree program will help them meet their academic and professional goals. Applicants who do not have a demonstrated quantitative methods background should explain how other academic and nonacademic experiences have equipped them to undertake graduate study in this program.
Supplemental materials, with the exception of transcripts, must be uploaded to the online application. Official transcripts may be sent to our Admissions office at email@example.com or mailed to our Chicago office. Please be sure to include the name of your intended program when addressing transcripts. Applicants will be notified once all materials have been received and the application is complete.
1. One sealed copy of official transcripts from ALL previously attended colleges and universities. Official transcripts must arrive in our office in the original sealed envelope issued by the institution. Northwestern University School of Professional Studies accepts electronic transcripts from U.S. institutions via secure electronic transcript providers.
2. Two letters of recommendation focusing on academic and professional achievement and ability
3. Statement of purpose
4. Current résumé or curriculum vitae
Brown UniversityRanked 16 in Best National University.
The GRE General exam is not required.
Information and Data Science
The UC Berkeley School of Information seeks students with the academic abilities to meet the demands of a rigorous graduate program.
To be eligible to apply to the Master of Information and Data Science program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
1. A bachelor’s degree or its recognized equivalent from an accredited institution.
2. Superior scholastic record, normally well above a 3.0 GPA.
3. Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores.
4. A high level of quantitative ability as demonstrated by scores in the top 15 percent in the Quantitative section of either the GRE or GMAT, five years of technical work experience, or significant work experience that demonstrates your quantitative abilities.
5. A high level of analytical reasoning ability and a problem-solving mindset as demonstrated in academic and/or professional performance.
6. A working knowledge of fundamental concepts including: data structures, algorithms and analysis of algorithms, and linear algebra.
7. Programming proficiency as demonstrated by prior work experience or advanced coursework. (For example: Python, Java, or R.)
8. The ability to communicate effectively, as demonstrated by strong scores in the Verbal and Writing sections of either the GRE or GMAT, academic performance, or professional experience.
9. A Statement of Purpose that clearly indicates professional career goals and reasons for seeking the degree.
10. Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores for applicants whose academic work has been in a country other than the US, UK, Australia, or English-speaking Canada.
Admission to the Fifth Year Master of Information and Data Science program requires that the applicant complete their undergraduate education at UC Berkeley in the year prior to starting the program. **Consequently, applicants are not required to submit GRE or GMAT scores**. However, applicants are required to submit three letters of recommendation and additional short answer essays.
Online Masters in Data Science
The online MSDS students will receive the same support and guidance as our residential students - and then some. A full team of faculty, administrators, success coaches and advisors will be with the students virtually every step of the way.
Applicants to the Master of Science in Data Science (MSDS) program must earn an undergraduate degree prior to the start of the summer term in which the program starts. Applicants with a three-year or four-year undergraduate degree from an accredited institution are eligible to apply.
The application form must be completed online. The following materials must accompany the application in order for it to be considered complete:
1. Statement of Purpose: This should explain how the online MSDS program fits into your short- and long-term educational and career goals.
2. Transcripts: Applicants must upload unofficial transcripts of their entire post-secondary academic record to the online application, including all undergraduate- and graduate-level coursework. Transcripts that are not stated in English must be accompanied by a translation into English.
3. Test Scores: The UVA MSDS is GRE/GMAT test optional. What does the optional mean for the GRE? When provided, GRE scores will continue to serve as just one of the many factors considered in our review of a student’s application. Providing GRE scores can bolster your application if there are aspects of your application you feel may not be as competitive as others. If you choose not include a GRE score, we encourage you to ensure that other components of your application, including the statement of purpose, resume or CV, transcripts, and letters of recommendation, are as strong as possible. If you choose to report scores, all unofficial test scores must be reported on the online application by the application deadline.
4. Language Tests for International Applicants: International applicants must self-report TOEFL or IELTS scores in the application system. Official scores are required only after acceptance of an offer from the program. The minimum internet-based (iBT) TOEFL score requirement is 90 (including sectional minimums of 22 in speaking, 22 in writing, 23 in reading and 23 in listening). The minimum IELTS score requirement is 7.0 in each section.
5. Letters of Recommendation: Two letters of recommendation should be submitted electronically through the online system. Once you have saved the contact information for a particular reference within the online application, that individual will receive instructions via email for submitting a letter of recommendation on your behalf. It is preferable (but not required) for at least one letter to be from an individual with substantial knowledge of your academic accomplishments.
6. Resume or Curriculum Vitae: A resume or curriculum vitae helps us get to know an applicant beyond their formal academic coursework. There is no preference for students with or without professional work experience. Each year, we expect to have students who have just finished their degrees as well as students who are working professionals.
7. Application Fee: A non-refundable application fee of $85.00 is required prior to submission of the application. Applicants who believe they may qualify for an application fee waiver should first review the Application Fee Waiver Information and then submit an Application Fee Waiver Request Form.
Tufts UniversityRanked 27 in Best National University.
Application Deadline for Spring is September 15 and for Fall is December 15
Application Requirements are:
1. Application Fee
3. Personal Statement
4. Official GRE scores
(i)GRE not required for current Tufts undergraduates applying to the M.S. degree program
(ii) GRE scores may be waived for part-time students with five years of industry experience who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
5. Official TOEFL or IELTS, if applicable
7. Three letters of Recommendation
Goergen Institute for Data Science
The University of Rochester do not require a GRE score.
All parts of the GRE are important.
If for some reason, applicant are unable to make it to the University of Rochester during the summer semester and their offer required matriculation for the summer bridging program, the Graduate Admissions Committee reserves the right to rescind their acceptance.
Online Master of Computer Science in Data Science
Applicants should hold a 4-year bachelor's degree (or equivalent). Students with a bachelor’s degree in a field other than CS are encouraged to apply, but to succeed in graduate-level CS courses, they must have prerequisite coursework or commensurate experience in object-oriented programming, data structures, algorithms, linear algebra, and statistics/probability. Applicants without this can strengthen their application for admission by passing the optional Data Structures Proficiency Exam. The recommended undergraduate GPA for applicants applying to the Professional Master's program is a 3.2/4.0 or higher. The Department of Computer Science does not require GRE scores for any of its graduate programs. Applications for the MCS do not require letters of recommendation, but will be considered if included, especially if used to justify experience in lieu of required coursework, or other irregularities.
All applications materials, including the application fee, must be received by the posted deadline.
The university's application fee is $70 for US citizens and permanent residents and $90 for all other applicants.
Illinois Computer Science will not not require submission of official transcripts during the initial applications review process. Applicants will be required to submit official credentials (transcripts, academic records, diplomas, certificates of degrees, etc.) only if they are recommended for admission to the Graduate College at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Applicants recommended for admission will be required to submit their official transcripts directly to the Graduate College.
Applicants to the PhD and MS with thesis programs are required to have three letters of recommendation submitted. Applicants to the MCS program are not required to have letters of recommendation, but letters will be considered if included, especially if used to justify experience in lieu of required coursework, or other irregularities.
The statement of purpose is part of the online application form. This statement should include your goals and background as it relates to the field of computer science. It is good to include any past work history, your interests, and reasons for pursuing a graduate degree in computer science.
CV/resume must be submitted as a part of the online application form.
**The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general aptitude tests (Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytical) and subject test scores are recommended, but not required. In some cases, the scores may provide helpful supporting information. **
English proficiency requirements. This applies to all applicants whose native language is not English, including permanent residents of the US.
Master of Data Science Online
Applicants who meet the priority deadline will be significantly more likely to receive the results of their admissions decisions than applicants who apply by the regular deadline.
$65 for US-based applicants and $90 for international applicants.
Admissions take into consideration the following items: undergraduate GPA, a relevant field of study, competitive GRE scores, work experience, a statement of purpose, TOEFL score (if applicable) and letters of recommendation (optional).
A typical candidate will have a regionally accredited bachelor’s degree in statistics, computer science, computer engineering, mathematics, electrical engineering or similar.
An atypical candidate will have a regionally accredited bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field but will have a passion for data science and be able to show their functional use of the topic through work experience. This information will need to be conveyed on an applicant’s CV and in their personal statement.
**As a temporary accommodation in response to COVID-19, the GRE requirement will be waived for all applicants for the spring 2021, summer 2021, fall 2021, and spring 2022 semesters. Students may continue to submit official GRE scores for consideration, but they will not be required to do so. GRE scores when provided, will continue to serve as just one of the many factors considered in our review of a student’s application.**
International applicants who are from a country where English is the only official language are exempt from this requirement. Additionally, applicants are exempt from the requirement if they possess a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. institution or an institution in a country where English is the only official language. The requirement is not waived for applicants who have earned a master’s—but not a bachelor’s—degree from a similar institution.
Transcripts are required from all colleges and universities attended, whether or not credit was earned, the program was completed, or the credit appears as transfer credit on another transcript.
Fordham UniversityRanked 58 in Best National University.
M.S. in Data Science Admissions Information Requirements
Official Graduate Record Examination Scores: Due to the impact of COVID-19 on standardized testing, GRE scores are optional for the M.S. program for the 2020-2021 admissions cycle.
International applicants whose native language is not English are required to complete and submit to GSAS prior to matriculation their official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language
Online Masters in Data Science Degree
SMU seeks students whose academic abilities can successfully meet the demands of a rigorous graduate program. The university seek candidates who are interested in becoming practitioners in the field of data science.
The Final Application Deadline is September 4.
SMU considers all applications holistically, without placing emphasis on any one specific factor. Your admission decision will be based on our assessment of your ability to succeed in the program and considers your undergraduate grades, test scores and work experience.
Bachelor's degree: Hold a bachelor's degree or its recognized equivalent from a regionally accredited institution.
GRE scores: Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are required. The GRE requirement can be waived if you have three or more years of industry experience in a related field or a previous master's degree. Test scores can take up to three weeks to reach the University, so please plan accordingly.
**If an applicant cannot produce a GRE score they may submit a Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) score instead**
Math or Programming Addendum: Applicants who waive out of the GRE or lack undergraduate coursework in math are strongly encouraged to submit a one-page math addendum. In this addendum, applicants should discuss how their experience has prepared them for the quantitative rigor of the program.
Similarly, applicants should consider submitting an addendum discussing their programming experience and ability to take on the technical challenges of the program. Applicants may also submit supplemental materials such as project examples and course certificates to demonstrate programming proficiency.
A completed application must include the following:
1. Online application
2. $75 application fee
3. One letter of recommendation
4. Professional résumé or curriculum vitae
5. Statement of purpose
6. All official transcripts
7. official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
8. Official TOEFL scores (if applicable): Applicants whose native language is not English must provide Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores (90+) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores (6.5+).
9. A nonrefundable $75 application fee, which can be paid online, is required.
M.S. in Applied Data Science Checklist
The University is working with all of our students to ensure that you can pursue graduate study and position yourself for a successful career in these uncertain times.
All application materials are required unless otherwise noted.
1. Graduate Program Application:Students can apply to the on-campus program using the Graduate Program Application. Students will receive an email from Syracuse University when your application has been received and processed.
2. $75 Non-refundable Application Fee:The non-refundable application fee is $75. (Please include a check or money order payable to Syracuse University. Do not send cash.)
3. 3. Academic Credentials: One (1) copy of records of all previous postsecondary education. You do not need to send transcripts from secondary schools as part of this application. The university can consider your application with unofficial transcripts, but we recommend that you send official transcripts. If you choose to submit an unofficial transcript, all offers of admission from Syracuse University are conditional pending receipt of official academic credentials showing that a U.S. bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) has been conferred upon you.
4. Personal Statement: The personal statement is a statement of your general academic plans, personally written by you, the applicant. Submit as an uploaded word-processing document through the Embark application. The statement must be with approximately 500 words
5. Two (2) Letters of Recommendation: The School of Information Studies requires two letters of recommendation for applicants to the master's programs. Our requirement of two letters of recommendation is different from the general Syracuse University Graduate School requirement of three letters of recommendation.
6. Exam Scores:
(a)GRE General Exam score:
(I)GRE General Exam scores are required for all applicants. However, for the following groups, **GRE General Exam scores are recommended, but not required:
(i)Graduates of a Syracuse University undergraduate program
(ii)Applicants who have graduated with an undergraduate degree from an accredited U.S educational institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher
(iii)Applicants who have completed another graduate program from an accredited U.S. educational institution
(iv)Applicants to a Fast Track Accelerated Degree program
(v)Applicants under the partnership between the iSchool and the U.S. Army Signal Center
(vi)If you fall under any of the above groups, email Bridget Crary (firstname.lastname@example.org) after you have submitted your application. Bridget will confirm that you do not need to submit GRE scores.
(II)We can accept GMAT or LSAT scores in lieu of GRE scores, although GRE General Exam scores are preferred.
(III)Applicants seeking scholarships and awards are recommended to submit GRE scores.
(b)Official TOEFL or IELTS score (international applicants only):
(I)All international applications are required to submit either a TOEFL or IELTS score. You may submit one score or the other; you do not need to submit both.
(II)If you have completed an advanced degree taught at an accredited U.S. educational institution, it is possible to waive the TOEFL/IELTS score requirement. Email email@example.com to confirm if you are eligible to waive the TOEFL/IELTS requirement.
(III)International applicants whose native language is English, or, who are citizens of English-speaking countries are not required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores.
7. Resume or Curriculum Vitae: A copy of your up-to-date resume or curriculum vitae (CV) is required.
8. Video Submissions (optional): The video submission is an optional component of our application and is not required, but it helps the admissions committee get to know you personally and the content should be similar to a personal statement. Your video should be two to five minutes in duration.
9. Financial Documents: All admitted international applicants must show evidence of having secured sufficient funding for at least the first year of graduate study in order for Syracuse University to issue your visa eligibility document (also known as an I-20), which is required in order to have your student visa authorized. Your financial documents have no bearing on your consideration for scholarships or awards. Program application reviewers do not have access to view your financial documents. Applicants who choose to submit financial statements after an offer of admission is made may experience processing and delivery delays that can impact the receipt of the I-20 and the schedule of your visa appointment.
The data science master’s program at Stevens instills the theoretical knowledge and practical skills required for dealing with the contemporary collection, exploration, analysis, and modeling of data along with the related challenges pertaining to inference and prediction.
Bachelor’s degree, with a minimum GPA of 3.0, from an accredited institution
A competitive GRE or GMAT score
GRE/GMAT is not required for part-time students.
If submitted, GRE/GMAT scores will be taken into consideration for admissions decisions.
MS in Data Science
Both the GRE and GMAT exams now offer options to complete the exam fully online and test centers are beginning to reopen.
Interview Skills: All students are required to complete 10 hours of interview skills training outside of class time provided by the program, to include job search coaching, resume and cover letter preparation, mock interview sessions, salary negotiation, and more.
Students take courses together as a cohort and all students must complete all 35 units of required coursework here at USF in order to graduate.
Applicant must have completed all required prerequisite courses before the start of the program.
Median Quant GRE score = 166
Median Quant GMAT score = 50
Master of Science in Applied Data Science
The Admission Requirements Master of Science in Applied Data Science program.
Interested applicants should submit the following:
1. An online application
2. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work (if applicable) and proof of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
3. Two letters of recommendation:You can now submit recommendation letters online.
4. Current resume and personal-goals statement
5. Official TOEFL scores (if your native language is not English)
At the discretion of the admissions committee, current St. John Fisher College students with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher may apply using the accelerated application.
Online Data Science Certificate
The application deadline for fall semester is August 1, Spring is Decempber 1 and Summaer is April 1.
Steps to Apply:
1. Complete graduate application
2. Submit $40 non-refundable application free
3. Submit official transcripts certifying an undergraduate degree earned from a regionally-accredited institution
1. Bachelor’s degree in a technically related field
2. Minimum GPA of 2.75 or above
3. Successful completion of college algebra and introductory statistics courses
4. Experience and knowledge in computing, database and statistical software such as MatLab, SQL or other advanced packages
Skip the GRE – not required for admission into the certificate program.
Data Science Graduate Certificate
The Graduate Certificate in Data Science is appropriate for students who are seeking a master’s degree in a different discipline or for working professionals as an alternative to a full master’s program.
Applicants must have earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution (or the international equivalent) with at least three semester credit hours of statistics and at least six semester credit hours of computer programming coursework in a high-level programming language.
**GRE scores are not required.**
Data Science Master s
The online UW Master of Science in Data Science is a smart choice for busy adults who want to advance their careers or start a whole new career but don’t have time for on-campus courses.
**Aptitude tests such as the GMAT and GRE are not required for admission.**
You may be eligible for admission to this program if you have completed a bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or better grade point average (GPA) and prerequisite courses in elementary statistics, computer programming, and database administration. (Students with a GPA of less than 3.0 may be considered for a provisional admission.) Ideal candidates will have a background in math, statistics, analytics, computer science, or marketing, or three to five years of professional experience in a related field.
Admission to the UW Master of Science in Data Science program requires:
1. Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution
2. 3.0 grade point average. Applicants with a GPA of less than 3.0 may be considered for provisional admission.
3. UW System application form (apply.wisconsin.edu)
4. $56.00 application fee
5. Prerequisite courses: Recent coursework in elementary statistics, introductory computer programming and introduction to databases. Relevant work experience can be considered in lieu of this coursework.
6. Official transcripts from colleges and universities previously attended
7. A personal statement of up to 1,000 words describing the reasons behind your decision to pursue this degree and what you believe you will bring to the data science field. Space for the personal statement is included in the online application.
9. Two letters of evaluation
10. International students will also need to provide a test of English proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS); Course-by-course transcript evaluation from a professional evaluation service currently recognized by NACES; Please note that this program is entirely online. International students are welcome to apply for and enroll in an online program. However, they are unable to apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa based on enrollment in this program.
*Official electronic transcripts must be sent to UWGB Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org directly from the institution that issued the transcript.
**The Data Science letter of evaluation is an electronic form the applicant initiates and sends to two references. The references must complete the form and email directly to the Office of Graduate Studies: email@example.com. Information on this process will be provided to the applicant after the UW System application has been received. Traditional letters of recommendation are not required.
Online Master of Science in Data Science
The Rasmussen College Master of Science in Data Science degree online program relies on authentic assessments that encompass real-world scenarios, case studies that give insight into various industries and exploration of emerging analytical technologies.
**With no GRE requirement and four start dates per year you can balance work, life and your education with a flexible, affordable, fully online, competency-based education program that can be completed in as few as 18 months for as low as $20,000.
Adding school to an already-full schedule can seem daunting, but we’ve worked hard to make it easier. We’ve designed flexible, skills-based programs that are schedule-friendly while still delivering the competitive edge necessary to succeed.
Entrance Placement Exam will helps prepare you to succeed. Students may be exempt from this step depending upon the program and transfer credit; your admissions advisor will help determine if you must complete this step.
Your admissions advisor will send enrollment documents to sign, have you complete a background check (if necessary) and collect any previous college transcripts. Once enrolled, your admissions advisor will walk through your academic plan and schedule.
Before you begin your coursework, all incoming students are automatically enrolled into an online orientation course.