Online Masters in Data Science No GRE - Updated 2020
Online Masters in Data Science
The online MSDS students will receive the same support and guidance as our residential students - and then some. A full team of faculty, administrators, success coaches and advisors will be with the students virtually every step of the way.
Applicants to the Master of Science in Data Science (MSDS) program must earn an undergraduate degree prior to the start of the summer term in which the program starts. Applicants with a three-year or four-year undergraduate degree from an accredited institution are eligible to apply.
The application form must be completed online. The following materials must accompany the application in order for it to be considered complete:
1. Statement of Purpose: This should explain how the online MSDS program fits into your short- and long-term educational and career goals.
2. Transcripts: Applicants must upload unofficial transcripts of their entire post-secondary academic record to the online application, including all undergraduate- and graduate-level coursework. Transcripts that are not stated in English must be accompanied by a translation into English.
3. Test Scores: The UVA MSDS is GRE/GMAT test optional. What does the optional mean for the GRE? When provided, GRE scores will continue to serve as just one of the many factors considered in our review of a student’s application. Providing GRE scores can bolster your application if there are aspects of your application you feel may not be as competitive as others. If you choose not include a GRE score, we encourage you to ensure that other components of your application, including the statement of purpose, resume or CV, transcripts, and letters of recommendation, are as strong as possible. If you choose to report scores, all unofficial test scores must be reported on the online application by the application deadline.
4. Language Tests for International Applicants: International applicants must self-report TOEFL or IELTS scores in the application system. Official scores are required only after acceptance of an offer from the program. The minimum internet-based (iBT) TOEFL score requirement is 90 (including sectional minimums of 22 in speaking, 22 in writing, 23 in reading and 23 in listening). The minimum IELTS score requirement is 7.0 in each section.
5. Letters of Recommendation: Two letters of recommendation should be submitted electronically through the online system. Once you have saved the contact information for a particular reference within the online application, that individual will receive instructions via email for submitting a letter of recommendation on your behalf. It is preferable (but not required) for at least one letter to be from an individual with substantial knowledge of your academic accomplishments.
6. Resume or Curriculum Vitae: A resume or curriculum vitae helps us get to know an applicant beyond their formal academic coursework. There is no preference for students with or without professional work experience. Each year, we expect to have students who have just finished their degrees as well as students who are working professionals.
7. Application Fee: A non-refundable application fee of $85.00 is required prior to submission of the application. Applicants who believe they may qualify for an application fee waiver should first review the Application Fee Waiver Information and then submit an Application Fee Waiver Request Form.
Online Master of Computer Science in Data Science
Applicants should hold a 4-year bachelor's degree (or equivalent). Students with a bachelor’s degree in a field other than CS are encouraged to apply, but to succeed in graduate-level CS courses, they must have prerequisite coursework or commensurate experience in object-oriented programming, data structures, algorithms, linear algebra, and statistics/probability. Applicants without this can strengthen their application for admission by passing the optional Data Structures Proficiency Exam. The recommended undergraduate GPA for applicants applying to the Professional Master's program is a 3.2/4.0 or higher. The Department of Computer Science does not require GRE scores for any of its graduate programs. Applications for the MCS do not require letters of recommendation, but will be considered if included, especially if used to justify experience in lieu of required coursework, or other irregularities.
All applications materials, including the application fee, must be received by the posted deadline.
The university's application fee is $70 for US citizens and permanent residents and $90 for all other applicants.
Illinois Computer Science will not not require submission of official transcripts during the initial applications review process. Applicants will be required to submit official credentials (transcripts, academic records, diplomas, certificates of degrees, etc.) only if they are recommended for admission to the Graduate College at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Applicants recommended for admission will be required to submit their official transcripts directly to the Graduate College.
Applicants to the PhD and MS with thesis programs are required to have three letters of recommendation submitted. Applicants to the MCS program are not required to have letters of recommendation, but letters will be considered if included, especially if used to justify experience in lieu of required coursework, or other irregularities.
The statement of purpose is part of the online application form. This statement should include your goals and background as it relates to the field of computer science. It is good to include any past work history, your interests, and reasons for pursuing a graduate degree in computer science.
CV/resume must be submitted as a part of the online application form.
**The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general aptitude tests (Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytical) and subject test scores are recommended, but not required. In some cases, the scores may provide helpful supporting information. **
English proficiency requirements. This applies to all applicants whose native language is not English, including permanent residents of the US.
Master of Data Science Online
Applicants who meet the priority deadline will be significantly more likely to receive the results of their admissions decisions than applicants who apply by the regular deadline.
$65 for US-based applicants and $90 for international applicants.
Admissions take into consideration the following items: undergraduate GPA, a relevant field of study, competitive GRE scores, work experience, a statement of purpose, TOEFL score (if applicable) and letters of recommendation (optional).
A typical candidate will have a regionally accredited bachelor’s degree in statistics, computer science, computer engineering, mathematics, electrical engineering or similar.
An atypical candidate will have a regionally accredited bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field but will have a passion for data science and be able to show their functional use of the topic through work experience. This information will need to be conveyed on an applicant’s CV and in their personal statement.
**As a temporary accommodation in response to COVID-19, the GRE requirement will be waived for all applicants for the spring 2021, summer 2021, fall 2021, and spring 2022 semesters. Students may continue to submit official GRE scores for consideration, but they will not be required to do so. GRE scores when provided, will continue to serve as just one of the many factors considered in our review of a student’s application.**
International applicants who are from a country where English is the only official language are exempt from this requirement. Additionally, applicants are exempt from the requirement if they possess a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. institution or an institution in a country where English is the only official language. The requirement is not waived for applicants who have earned a master’s—but not a bachelor’s—degree from a similar institution.
Online Masters in Data Science Degree
SMU seeks students whose academic abilities can successfully meet the demands of a rigorous graduate program. The university seek candidates who are interested in becoming practitioners in the field of data science.
The Final Application Deadline is September 4.
SMU considers all applications holistically, without placing emphasis on any one specific factor. Your admission decision will be based on our assessment of your ability to succeed in the program and considers your undergraduate grades, test scores and work experience.
Bachelor's degree: Hold a bachelor's degree or its recognized equivalent from a regionally accredited institution.
GRE scores: Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are required. The GRE requirement can be waived if you have three or more years of industry experience in a related field or a previous master's degree. Test scores can take up to three weeks to reach the University, so please plan accordingly.
**If an applicant cannot produce a GRE score they may submit a Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) score instead**
Math or Programming Addendum: Applicants who waive out of the GRE or lack undergraduate coursework in math are strongly encouraged to submit a one-page math addendum. In this addendum, applicants should discuss how their experience has prepared them for the quantitative rigor of the program.
Similarly, applicants should consider submitting an addendum discussing their programming experience and ability to take on the technical challenges of the program. Applicants may also submit supplemental materials such as project examples and course certificates to demonstrate programming proficiency.
A completed application must include the following:
1. Online application
2. $75 application fee
3. One letter of recommendation
4. Professional résumé or curriculum vitae
5. Statement of purpose
6. All official transcripts
7. official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores
8. Official TOEFL scores (if applicable): Applicants whose native language is not English must provide Official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores (90+) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores (6.5+).
9. A nonrefundable $75 application fee, which can be paid online, is required.
Online Data Science Certificate
The application deadline for fall semester is August 1, Spring is Decempber 1 and Summaer is April 1.
Steps to Apply:
1. Complete graduate application
2. Submit $40 non-refundable application free
3. Submit official transcripts certifying an undergraduate degree earned from a regionally-accredited institution
1. Bachelor’s degree in a technically related field
2. Minimum GPA of 2.75 or above
3. Successful completion of college algebra and introductory statistics courses
4. Experience and knowledge in computing, database and statistical software such as MatLab, SQL or other advanced packages
Skip the GRE – not required for admission into the certificate program.
Online Master of Science in Data Science
The Rasmussen College Master of Science in Data Science degree online program relies on authentic assessments that encompass real-world scenarios, case studies that give insight into various industries and exploration of emerging analytical technologies.
**With no GRE requirement and four start dates per year you can balance work, life and your education with a flexible, affordable, fully online, competency-based education program that can be completed in as few as 18 months for as low as $20,000.
Adding school to an already-full schedule can seem daunting, but we’ve worked hard to make it easier. We’ve designed flexible, skills-based programs that are schedule-friendly while still delivering the competitive edge necessary to succeed.
Entrance Placement Exam will helps prepare you to succeed. Students may be exempt from this step depending upon the program and transfer credit; your admissions advisor will help determine if you must complete this step.
Your admissions advisor will send enrollment documents to sign, have you complete a background check (if necessary) and collect any previous college transcripts. Once enrolled, your admissions advisor will walk through your academic plan and schedule.
Before you begin your coursework, all incoming students are automatically enrolled into an online orientation course.
Online Master of Science in Spatial Data Science
For admission to the Graduate School, an applicant must hold either (1) a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or (2) a tertiary (postsecondary) degree that is deemed comparable to a four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution. This degree must be from an officially recognized degree-granting institution in the country in which it operates.
Applications are submitted electronically and include a nonrefundable application fee. You will need to upload the following items as part of your application:
1. Official transcripts from each institution attended, regardless of the number of credits or semesters completed. Transcripts not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation. Penn State alumni do not need to request transcripts for credits earned at Penn State but must list Penn State as part of their academic history.
2. **GRE scores are NOT required.**
3. English Proficiency — The language of instruction at Penn State is English. With some exceptions, international applicants must take and submit scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
4. References (2) — students will need to initiate the process through the online application by entering names, email addresses, and mailing addresses of two references. Upon submission of their application, an email will be sent to each reference requesting they complete a brief online recommendation regarding their readiness for graduate study.
5. Personal Statement — Write a statement (2–3 pages in length) that describes how your experience and goals align with the objectives of the M.S. in Spatial Data Science program.
6. Resume - a one- to five-page listing of your professional experience and education.